Old September 29th 15, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default Any difference in appearance of the strut between performancehandling package and non-php model of 2000 Chryser 300M?

On 09/29/2015 08:18 AM, Tokyo 300M wrote:
> Hi there I am riding my 2000 300M in Japan (very rare) but I'm not sure if
> mine is with php or not. I think Chrysler Japan has sold only one
> model/trim
> as simply "2000 Chrysler 300M" as mine. No choice, no option at that time.
>
> Mine has 3.5 V6, 16inch rim, front disk brake with rotors that has air
> inlet
> outside (wheel lug nut side) of the disk, unlike usual brake disks sold on
> ebay or somewhere as "for 300M".
> Im considering replacing whole strut due to terribly worn and broken
> isolator
> and slightly noisy riding recently. But searching for parts on ebay or some
> other parts sales sites, Ive noticed there are so many struts out there for
> w/o php!
> Hopefully I want to replace strut as a whole because my parts (shocks,
> spring,
> mounts, etc) are all like 14yrs old, and want to avoid spring compressing
> process.
>
> So I have 2 questions,
> 1, How can I see if my 300M is with php or not? Any difference in
> appearance?
> 2, What is the difference between strut parts for php and w/o php? Any
> difference in diameters? or just a different spring rate or some?
>
> Any suggestion or recommendation would also be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

In the USA the Performance Handling Package included 17-inch wheels.
Whether that is a reliable indication for non-North-American cars, I
don't know.

I replaced the front struts on my PHP-equipped '02 model with Moog strut
assemblies, but I used OEM mounts and bearings because the OEM ones are
different (left vs. right), whereas all the after-market ones -- as far
as I know -- are the same both sides and tend to fail quickly. I picked
the Moog ones because the general opinion is that they are closest in
"feel" to the original PHP ones; they seem fine to me. I was able to
borrow spring compressors from auto-parts stores; compressing the
springs isn't difficult with the right tools, but it's a little tedious.

Perce