Old April 2nd 10, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.bmw
Bill Putney

Default Electronic Throttle

PeterD wrote:

> One thing is that with some cars, the key is durned hard to reach
> however... Certainly not a quick access device. I'm beginning to think
> that cars need a "Big Red Kill Switch" on the dash, that kills the
> engine completely if pressed. It should be stout enough to not allow
> accidential pushes, but big enough and easy enough to be seen and used
> in an emergency. It would take a few years for drivers to get 'used'
> to the fact it is there, but evetually drivers would realize it as a
> safety feature.

It would create problems due to the steering being very hard to turn
with the engine off (and some loss of braking capability). If that were
the only option, then - yeah - that might be the preferred method. But,
again, there is a better way:

Best to simply throw the shifter in neutral. It's *already* there (no
need to add more clutter, complecity, and expense), the engine is rev.
limited in neutral so it won't self destruct. Then get the car safely
stopped, *then* shut the engine off.

The public could be educated to automatically think about it for when
the unthinkable happens, and/or educational decals could be mandated for
every car for benefit of the unteachable and to satisfy the lawyers and
the nanny state. We don't need more switches and wires.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')