Old April 1st 10, 03:04 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default Electronic Throttle

In article m>,
OldHarleyRider > wrote:

>Bill Putney wrote:
>> OldHarleyRider wrote:
>>
>>> ...It was the wildest 6-8 second ride in my life. I did in the process
>>> put my other foot on the brake also, to no avail. Total damage was
>>> $20,000.00
>>> across 2 lawns, hit a Cadillac and ran into a garage (moved the garage
>>> 6 inches off its foundation).

>>> ...We did get rid of the Mustang,...

>> Let me see if I understand what you just said: Your Mustang hit a
>> Cadillac and then hit a garage so hard that it knocked it 6 inches off
>> its foundation. Then you had the choice of keeping and driving that
>> same Mustang that had done that or get rid of it? Please forgive me if
>> I think you are FOS to try to have us believe that the car that hit one
>> car and then knocked a garage off its foundation was not totaled in the
>> process. Your story lacks credibility.
>>

>Well, Mr. Putney.
>
>It happened just that way. Give me a good e-mail address and I'll send
>the photos of everything that happened. Then you can shut your FOS mouth....

It sounds pretty silly to me. I used to have an MGB with a throttle
that would stick all the time... I'd have to shut off the ignition, put out
the clutch and coast to the side and free the damn thing up. Eventually
after a few times of this happening on the highway I just got a new throttle
cable.

Stuff sticks. Stuff goes wrong. Life's just like that. That's why cars
have operators who can deal with it when things happen. That's not an excuse
to allow your car to get out of control. You've got a clutch and a key.

Now, folks in a car where there is no clutch and no key and only a button
have sort of a different problem, mostly because they don't have the reflexes
to shut them off after many years of driving cars with a more conventional
interface. That's partly the fault of the manufacturer for changing an
interface that has been around for a a long time and partly the fault of
the operator for not learning the new interface.
--scott