Old April 1st 10, 11:12 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.bmw
David Skelton[_3_]

Default Electronic Throttle

> When I read your story and the story of the guy whose runaway
> car went 45 minutes without stopping, I think that carmakers
> should add a new safety device; some kind of a switch or a key
> easily within the driver's reach where he could stop the car quickly
> before causing damage or injury by turning off the ignition.
>
> Rodan.

I do that to our cars, a switch in series to the fuel pump (hidden).

It makes for an unusual immobiliser, and enables the engine to be cranked
after an oil change until the oil pressure light goes out without starting,
as long as the engine was stopped by lack of fuel supply.

Best regards

David

BTW, I did describe the occurrences of unintended acceleration in three
vehicles in this thread.