Old April 16th 18, 02:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Am Mon, 16 Apr 2018 02:22:08 -0700 (PDT), schrieb :

> I'm pretty sure if you put 450W through one of those
> speaker's it'd glow dull red.

I've seen Jeff Liebermann's responses to questions of how manufacturers'
lie about specs, where he has personally doublechecked things like claimed
wattage on radios.

But what's amazing is that a pair of $300 Panasonic 20W paper-cone one-way
speakers sells at Toyota, when these $30 Blaupunkt 450W (claimed) speakers
are clearly better made.

The magnets alone weight a ton compared to the flyweight Panasonics -
although I don't think there is a spec on magnet heft. (What does the
magnet heft mean, in terms of specs, when the difference is striking
between two speakers?)

Also the paper of the $300 Panasonic cone is brittle and subject to sun
degradation, while the $30 Blaupunkt was presumably more sunlight resistant
rubber & foam.

But to your point on wattage, the head unit remained which likely was not
capable of outputting more than 20 watts RMS anyway - so there's no chance
that the $30 Blaupunkt speakers will be carrying more than that.

One question I have is why don't they make speaker holes standard for
standard-sized speakers? The other question is about that magnet.

If there were two same-sized speakers, one with a huge magnet and another
with a puny magnet, what does that mean in terms of likely performance spec
differences?