Old October 20th 04, 03:31 AM
BANDIT2941

> Replacing the oil rings on the Saturn engine is a great idea and I
>am confident that would also fix the oil burning problem. However I
>can guarantee 99% of the people on this newsgroup wouldn't know how to
>take the engine out of their car, let alone take it apart to replace
>oil rings. Plus the investment in time, parts, and tools is alot more
>money for most people than a bypass filter installation.

Yeah, you're right, most don't. And yes, it is a big investment in time, parts,
and tools. BUT, it WILL fix the oil burning. A bypass oil filter WILL NOT
unstick your rings!

>With a bypass filter, the oil can be changed less often. This is
>because there is roughly 100x (or more depending on model) the filter
>medium in a bypass filter than an OEM spin-on filter and it keeps your
>oil perpetually clean. The spin-on filter becomes irrelevant because
>the bypass filter gives you an equivalent of 2-2.5 engine flushes
>every hour (8-10L/hour oil flow). As long as the anti-drainback
>doesn't get old on the OEM filter you can continue to use it. Amsoil,
>the maker of the dual remote bypass filter, recommends a spin-on (OEM)
>filter change once every year. For Synthetic oil, www.wefilterit.com
>recommends 25k change intervals and OEM filter replacements every 12k
>miles.

Thats all well and good. But do you really trust your dino oil to 25k changes?
I believe the polymers would long be broken down due to the stress and heat
cycles, no matter how clean the filter can keep it.

>You also save on engine
>repairs. Thus, even if your engine doesn't reduce in oil consumption,
>you will still get an ROI. Not so much with a piston ring swap.

Your right, you won't save any money(ie, ROI) with a piston ring swap. Its not
an investment! Its fixing something broken! You are arguing with me about
something different. You are trying to say that a BP filter will stop oil
burning. I am saying that it will not because it won't unstick your stuck
piston rings(which is the cause of excessive oil burning). Will a BP filter
keep your oil cleaner? Certainly. Will it save on engine repairs? Doubtful
because if you take care of your engine and change the oil regularly, you
aren't going to be any more likely to have catastrophic engine failure then you
are if you have a BP filter. Regular oil changes will keep the oil clean. As
clean as a BP filter? Probably not. But does that tiny tiny tiny extra
clean-ness matter? Doubtful.

How much extra oil do you run with it?