Old May 7th 05, 04:27 AM
Randolph

Spar wrote:

> I took my 1990 Volkswagen Golf Mk2 into get it E-tested today and this is
> the third 3rd time it failed.
> Have installed new oxygen sensor, new catalytic convertor, new plugs and
> changed the oil. The vehicle does have eratic idling at certain times and
> not all the time.
> One mechanic today suggested I change the Idle Stabilizer Valve.
> Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced eratic idling and
> have them advise me
> what repair was necessary to fix it.
> Thanks
> Spar

Please post the results of the E-test (CO, HC, NOx, O2 etc.) as it is
immensely useful in diagnosing an emissions problem. What type of fuel
injection do you have? Digifant I, Digifant II? something else entirely?

A new ISV is expensive, don't change it unless you /know/ it is the
problem. One common problem on A2 cars is that the idle switch on the
throttle body fails (the one at the bottom that you can barely see, the
one in plain view on top is the wide open throttle switch). This will
cause erratic idle. Depending on what type of FI you have, you may or
may not have an idle switch.