Old April 22nd 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Default New Miata (er, MX-5)

NetMax wrote:
> <snip>
>> Good choice! What a blast that drive is going to be! I doubt you
>> will mind having 6 gears but you probably WILL wish 6th was a taller
>> cruising gear! I know, I keep bringing this back up but it's one of
>> Mazdas biggest mistakes on the NA,NB and NC cars IMHO.
>>
>> Give us all the details when you get back!
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

> Fixed on the NC2 '09 & '10 (taller final gear).
>
> The 5MT is a sequential gearbox (lends itself to 1-2-3-4-3-4-5).
> You're driving a 5MT without thinking about it very quickly.
>
> The 6MT is more like a gearbox buffet (1-2-4-3-5-4-6)
> The 6MT will sometimes leave you, just momentarily wondering, am I in
> 5th or 3rd, because the engine has such a wide powerband.
>
> Both good trannys, though some are notchy, (particularly the earlier
> 6MTs) so do your test drive on a cold and a warm engine.
>
> net

Pretty good characterization of the 2 transmissions. On the 5 speed, I
didn't use 5th unless the traffic was light, because I'd just have to
downshift all the time. On the 6 speed, when you slow down in traffic you
still have enough power to get going again. (I know that's what you just
said). I hit the rev limiter twice today. It's only 6500. Not sure if
that's only the Mazdaspeed or any MX-5 with a 6 speed. I also found myself
going 1-2-3-4-6 getting on the interstate.