Old June 14th 05, 09:29 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Yes, I don't expect the blend to be very good. I want to just keep
> patching it each year to prevent rust. If I really want a good job
> before I sell, I can have a pro fix the areas at that time.
>
> I do need more details though.
>
> It can't be as simple as "Then you prime and paint".
>
> I assume you must:
>
> 1. Prep after the inital sanding.
> 2. Spary primer (how far?, bare metal only?)
> 3. Do you sand the primer now?
> 4. Prep for topcoat?
> 5. Spray topcoat (how far?)
> 6. Wet sand or some sort of grinding compound, etc, etc.
>
> Perhaps the books are the way to go.

If you have paint chips I doubt they have gone all the way through. What is
most likely is the primer under the car paint is showing. You don't want to
sand all that off. All you want to do with sanding is to get the surface
leveled
then prime and paint. I was assuming your underlying paint layers are still
intact.

If the chips have, in fact, gone through the primer to the bare metal then
you have just bought a peck of trouble and you can't do what I was
describing because you undoubtedly have rust there. Instead you have to
strip all paint off and remove the rust (there are a variety of ways) then
sand prime and paint.

Ted