Old September 15th 11, 03:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BSAKing

Default Revisited: how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intakevalve with the intake manifold on?

On Sep 6, 8:25*pm, "uncle_vito" > wrote:
> Be very careful with those stiffer springs. *Unless you are revving to 6000
> rpm, you do not need them and they can be very hard on a new cam. *Been
> there, done that, destroyed my new cam until I put the original springs back
> when I did the job again.
>
> "BSAKing" > wrote in message

> > HI all - I cannot update anything on this topic (perhaps because it is
> > an older thread)

> > So - just a quick update. As someone (I think Dad) had suggested, the
> > cam was toast.
> > At least 2 lobes were ground down to smithereens.

> > So - after checking prices, being cheap, and retired with a fixed
> > income, I decided to give it a go myself.

> > I have the engine out and have replaced the Cam, timing gears, chain,
> > oil pump, and have rebuilt the heads with stiffer spring to go with a
> > mild cam. I am in the process of re-assembly this week.

> > It will be awhile before it is back together as I have to do some
> > snooping around while the engine is out. I'm learning a lot as I go
> > along.....

> > The patient (or victim) is a '76 smogger, L-48 SBC.

Well - one would hope they are ok - it is a *very* mild cam and the
springs came with it from CompCams. 12-206-2 is their part number on
it. This is all a huge learning curve for me....