Old April 22nd 11, 09:09 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default No handbrake on S4?!????

On Mar 5, 9:21*pm, Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 20:06:51 -0500, D. LaCourse >
> wrote:
>
> >It probably locks up the rear wheels (as most vehicles do, with
> >exception of old Saabs {don't know about the new ones}). *Lock up the
> >rear wheels at 50mph and you will rotate. *And it ain't gonna be fun! *
> >You will also flat bottom your tires, and they will go thump, thump,
> >thump. *d;o( *Pulling the handbrake is a wonderful way to help you make
> >turns while ice racing.

> >However, I imagine it is idiot proof; push the button above a certain
> >speed and nothing happens.

> Just took over my 2011 A6 Avant (not the new style).
>
> The dealer say it is an emergency braking function as well for the
> passenger. Have yet to read back in the manual in detail if that is
> true, but I I think I read something like that.
>
> I.e. as long as you keep the button pulled up it will brake all 4
> wheels!
>
> At any speed. And the braking is supposedly spectacular, ahemm.
>
> In addition the ABS sensors and the ESP will try to keep the car
> straight and in line until it comes to a full stop.

Ok, they could just as well have duped the function with a lever
braking just the rear wheels.
Could've been purely mechanical cable or hydraulic thing too.
Button+electircs for the lazy bums and emergency stops, lever going
the purely mechanical route for fun.
To save costs they could've just retained the lever on the cars with
manual transmissions.