Old March 7th 11, 08:50 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

Default No handbrake on S4?!????

On Mar 4, 8:53*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-03-02 22:28:23 -0500, AD > said:
>
> > are you kidding me?
> >http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...e-2011-audi-s4
> > how do you start going whithout rolling back when sitting uphill?
> > (Think san francisco)

> There's a handbrake. *It's a button (electronic rather than
> mechanical). *Have driven in San Francisco and never used my hand brake
> on a hill.
>
> Dave
> RS6

I do not like the idea of having an mechatronical button for
handbrake.
I prefer the classical mechanical handbrake because, you can use it to
get your car to a stop even when energy is turned off.
I do not think that these new cars have that capacity.

Secondly, in wintery or wet conditions, you can improve car
performance and handling using the handbrake wisely.

In the past, safety rules were asking for a completely mechanical mean
for stopping your car overidding everything else
since mechatronical systems do not show enough reliability to be
considered sufficiently safe.
Lexus knows very well the problems with too much mechatronics around
the car which have led to many casualties.

Well, well, I do not know how this one went through the certification
process in the EU or USA ?

LHR