Old June 2nd 09, 09:21 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stef[_2_]

Default Wheel bolt snapped

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
Tall Dave > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was getting my 166 ready for its MOT and swapping the tyres around to get
> even wear and - IDIOT me overtigthened a front wheel bolt and it snapped!!!
> Much swearing followed "****** **** ***** ******"
> I wouldn't mind but I only had the front wheel disc replaced 3K miles ago.
>
> Do you think it will be possible for a half decent mechanic to get the
> snapped bolt out of the disc or will the disk have to be replaced?

Getting the bolt out of the disc is no trouble at all, as the bolt is not
screwed in the disc. The bolt goes through an untapped hole in the disc
and screws in the hub. ;-P

After the bolt snapped, there is no more tension on the bolt, so chances
are that is can rotated relatively easely. If there is grease on the bolts,
you may be able to do it with pliers or a small screwdriver (depending on
how deep the bolt snapped), soaking it with WD40 beforehand may help ( make
sure to get none on disc and brakepads).

If the bolt snapped below the surface of the disk, removing the disk first
may help or even expose enough of the bolt to get to it with vice grips.

You may als try to get to the bolt from the back of the hub.

Then you may try more drastic methods, like te already explained welding or
remove the entire hub to get more access.

And a bit late now: Tighten your wheelbolts with a torque wrench.
If you don't want to invest in one, just try using it once. Bet you'll be
amazed how little force is actually required for the correct torque.
Most people overthighten their wheelbolts (massively).

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Sleep is for the weak and sickly.