Old August 24th 04, 11:33 AM
Petri Rehtonen

On 2004-08-24, David > wrote:
> So what is the appropriate time to replace the timing belt on a 2000 1.8t
> quattro?
>
> My manual suggests replacing at 120,000 miles. I'm assuming that this is
> with the improved tensioner. However, I keep seeing reports of early
> failure, probably/possibly due to the old tensioner. Unfortunately, no one
> ever states whether the model had the old tensioner or the new "improved
> version.

Here in Finland the recommended interval is 90000 km. Quite a cap
between these two intervals :-). I replaced mine before 90000 and
there was no sign of wear in belt. My speculation is that the
tensioner is the most common cause of failure. The recommended interval
in Finland might be explained by the strain of winter time.

--
Petri Rehtonen