Old July 11th 18, 03:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default how does the map get into the radio?

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:43:26 -0600, rbowman
> wrote:

>On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
>> I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

>Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

Is it a miracle to tell me where I am?

>> If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
>> rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

>There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
>less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
>wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
>may not be useful depending on where you live.

I don't want another device, just a radio which may or may not have GPS.

I hadn't thoughty about traffic updates, but that would definitely
require a receiver and a higher price. There is pretty much only one
route to take to work, so knowing about the traffic doesn't help.

In Chicago where the streets are on a grid, one can just take a parallel
street if there is traffic, but not here.

>Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up
>to date than rural.

This DVD does have more streets within Baltimore, but I have a paper
atlas of Baltimore which has all that too, and more, and I rarely go
some place I haven't been to 10 times. The DVD wasn't up to date on
the rural areas even when the car was made. At least it doesn't have
enough detail.