Old May 21st 07, 03:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,sci.energy
bill

Default Volkswagon unveils car that gets 282 miles to the gallon.

On May 21, 9:02 am, EdV > wrote:
> I dont understand why VW described it as a 6 speed manual transmission
> that shifts automatically. If its a manual its a manual, if its an
> automatic its automatic. It only has forward neutral and reverse so
> its automatic

Automatic transmission is a specific type of automatic shifting
mechanism. The normal automatic transmission has significant losses
associated with it, amounting to approx 5-10% of power throughput.
What they've done is taken a standard manual shift transmission and
strapped an automatic shifting aparatus to it.