Old February 20th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JS[_3_]

Default Ping: Patrick

wrote:
> On Feb 18, 10:00 am, JS > wrote:
>

>>Long time no see, Patrick. Been a while since I cruised RAMFM.

> Hey, JS!
>

>>In any event - just for historical purposes, my '97 Cobra ran 13.8 @
>>100.7 with about a 2.0 60' time (I know I'm not the world's best driver)
>>with Nitto 555DRs and a Tri-ax - otherwise stock car/weight. Track
>>elevation there was 1250'. It's pretty sad if these guy in new GTs
>>can't even break into the 15's. Traction control (or lack thereof) a
>>factor?

> I know! It's sad. Perhaps the traction control being left on is it,
> but I can't imagine the performance being affected that much. I do
> know these cars rock. I enjoyed the hell out of my '05 test
> drive!

I haven't had any seat time behind the '05's, though I'd love to. Glad
to hear you got to give one a rip! I'm thinking maybe traction control
was turned off and the drivers couldn't handle the car. Maybe they'd be
better leaving it on?

>>On the miserable street tires the car came with (not the originals) I
>>was in the high 14's / low 15's if I remember right, as I couldn't hook
>>to save my life.

> But the mph was there, as it should be with these cars. At sea level,
> they should be trapping over 100 mph.

Agreed. If my '97 Snake can trap over 100 mph at just about 1/4 mile
above sea level, these cars should be running much, much harder than the
times show.

>>How's everything been?

> Good!. My '93 keeps humming along. It's now at 125K miles. I need
> about another 100 horses, but I am not going to mess with it until it
> needs to be freshened. Then it'll either be a stout new crate motor
> or I'll get something new(er). An '05 GTO, Hemi car, 3-valve GT and a
> WRX head the list, but who knows... oh, and can't wait to see/drive
> the new Camaro!

Yours is a '93 Cobra, right? Glad to hear it's still running strong.
I'd love to have a '93 Cobra to go along with the '97 - always was a
sucker for a Fox. I know the feeling of needing a bit more power... my
daily toy is a '95 Eclipse GSX with 158k on it... it's noisy (famous
Chrysler 4-cylinder lifter click), but still quick. Just needs a bit
more balls. Another 100hp would be great! My friend's building a 600hp
turbo/nitrous Talon... so it makes me wish I had just a bit more.

A few months ago I saw the prototype Camaro - wasn't impressed with the
styling. I thought Ford hit the mark with the Mustang but GM missed it
a bit with the Camaro. I think it'll be a fun car to drive, but I'm not
huge on the styling. Whatever you buy, I'm sure you'll have a good time
test driving all of them.

> Do you still have your '97?

Yeah, but I didn't take it with me when I moved to NY. It's back in PA,
safe in a garage. I miss it - last time I took it for a spin was in
June. I'll probably be back in PA in a few years' time, then it's time
for Mustang fun again.

JS