Old September 2nd 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
ACAR

Default And yet even more on the legendary Honda failingtransmissions--Honda won't let you buy a new one on your own

On Aug 20, 8:50*pm, Tegger > wrote:

> > I just had my '89 Legend towed away. Don't even try to tell me that
> > systems on that generation vehicle are anywhere near as reliable as
> > the current crop.

> Oh, they were. Given proper maintenance, they were just about bullet-proof.

Can't agree. I've got a LONG list of repairs the car needed not to
mention the inadequate cooling system when the A/C was working in very
hot temps. The car was far from bullet proof; although the engine/
manual trans. required no work over 20+ years. I replaced/repaired CV
joints, brake calipers (which seized), brake master cylinder, EGR,
alternator, O2 sensors, radio, headlight switch, master/slave clutch
cylinders and a whole bunch more. I owned a Toyota Sienna for 12
years, 250K miles, all overlapping the Legend. The Sienna needed O2
sensors and a sliding door latch other than routine maintenance items.
None of the crap that failed on the Legend. Not to mention A/C that
blew frosty air even on the hottest day.

Horse****

> Imagine how simple and reliable the 1991 system could be now, if automakers
> had had 19 years to perfect it, and if EPA engineers weren't so hell-bent
> on giving reasons why they should continue to suck from that juicy federal
> teat.

Honda brakes still suck.
True, Honda ****boxes of that era got good mpg but they were flimsy
and torqueless. My '87 Integra crushed like a soda can when it was
rear ended on the Washington beltway.

> > You need to go back to 1960s cars for mechanically
> > simple.

> But quite a lot less durable

But so easy and cheap to fix.

>and reliable.

Nope. I had a '66 Chevy that was nearly as reliable as my '98 Sienna.
It need more repair work but was very reliable over 180K miles.

> By 1991, they'd hit the
> motherlode for reliability, durability, and low emissions. But the federal
> meddlers couldn't leave well-enough alone.

So I think you need to look beyond Honda 'cause Honda peaked in the
early '90s and that has nothing to do with the EPA.