Old September 7th 05, 02:07 AM
XS11E

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in:

> XS11E > wrote:

>>> Because the MX-5/Miata was always meant to be affordable.

>>Wanna bet the Corvette top is cheaper to build than the Miata?

> I would agree the Corvette top must be cheaper than a whole Miata.
>
> Anyway, it is self-evident that Corvette top must have had
> major problems with cost, space requirements, or function, or it
> would have been used on every car by now.

It's a manual top, it could never be used on anything GM built BUT a
Corvette.

It has no problems with cost, space requirements or function as I believe the
current Corvette convertibles use the same top as did the first StingRays.

> There is a race? Whichever sports car has the windows that go down
> fastest is the best sport scar?

Nope, which ever car of any kind that has the windows that go up and down the
fastest is the most convenient car.

> The reliability was not even up to GM standards?

Solid as a rock, never had any problems nor have I heard of other owners
having problems. Much as most GM cars are crap, they do have some things
that others should emulate and those windows are one of them.

BTW, they don't use them on current Corvettes, they use the same window motor
as all their other cars use.

> GM got tired of being sued by people getting limbs, necks,
> faces, kids, cut in the lightning-quick windows?

Never happened. Power windows are made so they can only exert a certain
amount of force going up so the speed at which they travel wouldn't make any
significant difference. I think they're gone because it's cheaper to use the
same part for all their cars.

> Especially when the lack of build quality meant that these windows
> would usually operate erroneously?

There's no lack of build quality.

I'm shocked that someone with a white Miata would talk about build quality
when we all know that white Miatas are the absolute worst in reliability,
even with the photon drag advantage.