Old August 31st 05, 04:24 PM
High Tech Misfit

Nemo wrote:

> Hey fellas,
> According to dealer schedule I have to do maintenance type D on my Civic
> 2001 at 40000 Km. That includes some abnormal prices such as $60 (canadian)
> for air filter that you can buy it (Honeywell brand not a chinese brand) at
> a retailer for $17. Just an example to show you that they are ripping off.
> But the maintenance schedule includes also timing belts adjustment that I am
> not sure about it. My question is that what happens if I do not do that.
> Does the engine really need that at this milage. Thanks guyes for advice.
> Regards

If you really do mean 40,000km as opposed to 140,000km, you do not need a
timing belt replacement at this time. However, if your car also has a
time-based interval for the belt, then you should replace it when that time
comes. Assuming the interval is 6 years, since your car is almost 5 years
old, the belt would be due for replacement in late 2006 or early 2007
(assuming of course you don't reach the distance-based interval beforehand).
Check the maintenance schedule in your manual.

And $60 for air filter is a huge rip-off. Have you tried other dealers? I
bought an air filter for my '93 Accord at a Honda dealer last year for $20
(I did the labour myself, but that takes only a few minutes anyway). As far
as I know, it should cost about the same for your Civic.