Old September 16th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
T.J. Higgins

Default Advantages of an Electric Car

In article >, Tim M. wrote:
>On Sep 16, 4:01*am, Chuck > wrote:

>> > Chuck, do you have any old pictures of it? That would be cool to see the
>> > style of the time!

>> > Chris
>> > 99BBB

>> I had seen a poor picture of it in the early 50's, when I was still in
>> elementary school. It looked much like many early cars, with a high
>> rectangular top, flat glass on the front, with a hinged section, and a
>> sloped front. The steering was with a handle instead of a wheel.

>A tiller, I think they called them.

Correct.

There were quite a number of electric car makers in the USA
from 1900-1930:
<http://www.american-automobiles.com/Electric-Automobile-Manufacturers.html>
Many were not much more than horse buggies with electric motors and
a tiller for steering. Hence the term "horseless carriage."

--
TJH

tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net