Old December 27th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default GM blasts proposed change in U.S. fuel economy rules

In article et>, necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Speeders & Drunk
> Drivers are MURDERERS said in rec.autos.driving:
>> Tough titties, GM. Stop selling these gas guzzling SUVs that only get
>> our troops killed.

> Since when do you give two ****s about our troops????

Of course the troll doesn't care. If fuel economy was a real issue then
we would have european style taxes on fuel. Placing the burden on the
manufacturers makes Lutz's anaology spot on.

The real problem IMO is a lack of will to develop the more unconventional
sources of oil here in the americas in favor of more profitable oil
overseas. It's more profitable because the US tax payers and those in
the military pay the price for the instability of the region. If big oil
had to foot the bills of foreign aid, military intervention, etc and so
forth, middle east oil would be too expensive to bother with. Oil shale
would look dirt cheap. Middle east oil might not even be profitable if
all those costs were carried by the oil companies.