Old December 22nd 05, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Saving my (expensive) clutch.

"Harry K" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>
>> >NEVER use the clutch to hold position on hills.
>> >That is what the handbrake is for.

>> Handbrake?? What if your car has a footbrake? I've done fine just
>> using the regular brake and some quick foot action.
>> --------------
>> Alex

> Same here. I can't recall when I last saw a car other than the sport
> types with a real handbrake. I always wonder about that when this
> subject comes up and also when people talk about using the handbrake
> to slow down so a cop doesn't see the brake light or using it to make
> the rear slide out in cornering.
>
> Harry K

What kind of cars have you guys been driving?
Every Honda/Acura I've owned has had a handbrake,and I believe other
"foreign" makes have them,too,sport or plain old sedans.

Of course,I suspect the American brands still don't have handbrakes.
Those are just parking brakes,useless for anything else.

(what do you guys call "real" handbrakes?)

I'm not too sure about using the HB for slowing to avoid speeding tix,or
making the rear slide out except on dirt(road rallies) and slick
surfaces(ice,snow,wet pavement),as you don't get a lot of braking force
with it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik