Old December 20th 05, 10:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Saving my (expensive) clutch.

wrote:
> I've just began driving my first manual, and was reading beginner's
> guides online when I came accross one that stated, "one should never
> rev the engine while letting the clutch out."
>
> And thought, wait, that's exactly what I've been doing.
>
> My modus operandi from starting from a dead stop has been to:
> 1. Find catch-point (release clutch nearly all of the way)
> 2. Rev engine
> 3. Release clutch
>
> I find this especially lovely on hills, to keep from rolling back when
> I let go of the break.
>
> But after reading this I fear I may be subjecting my clutch to undue
> wear and tear.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> - Ron

That should probably read, "don't rev the engine more than necessary..."
I don't know what kind of car you drive, but a lot of smaller engines
don't develop any torque at all at idle so a little bit of revs is
necessary.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.