Old December 5th 05, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default "Jack rabbit" starts give best mileage

Misterbeets wrote:

> That's a good point about automatics.
>
> However I wonder whether fuel enrichment at WOT wastes fuel. Old days
> with carbs, yes; with modern FI, it needn't, as you can add just enough
> to create a corresponding increase in torque and power.

It doesn't even necessarily waste fuel with carbs, if the carb is
properly tuned. WOT at low RPM does require a richer mixture (up to
slightly richer than stoichiometric), but it also requires (allows, in
fact) less ignition advance so there's less time that combustin pressure
is working against the piston's motion prior to TDC.