Old December 4th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default "Jack rabbit" starts give best mileage

Misterbeets wrote:
> I was reading in the Bosch Gasoline Engine Management book tips for
> improving fuel efficiency, and was surprised to see wide throttle
> acceleration recommended, at least up to 2000 RPM, when you are
> supposed to change gears.
>
> Exactly the opposite of what I grew up hearing. Anyone know the
> thinking (if any) behind the old advice?

That old advice is too narrowly focused on maximizing fuel economy.
The minor savings in fuel will be offset by increased wear and tear on
the entire drivetrain. Not to mention the increased tendency of many
drivers practicing this style of fuel economy to suddenly rear-end
other cars.