Old August 12th 10, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

Default Next MX-5 Uncovered

On 2010-08-12, Don Q <Don> wrote:
> On 2010-08-10 19:06:12 -0400, "Chris D'Agnolo" > said:
>

>>> I did however forget one wish for a new Miata. They need to add more lightness.

>> Alright, I'll give you a pass on the 'add more lightness' comment since
>> English is probably at least your second language. Anybody else would
>> have 'gotten it' :-) cd

> Add more lightness. That is a direct quote from the late Colin Chapman,
> is it not?

I'm not sure where it came from originally, but it's a rather widely
used phrase in the automotive, motorcycle, and aeronautics fields:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22add+more+lightness%22

The only direct attribution I can find is to Willian Stout, the
designer of the Ford Trimotor back in the 1920s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Bushnell_Stout

The Colin Chapman quote appars to be "To add speed, add lightness".

In any case, "adding lightness" is pretty idiomatic.

--
Grant