Old April 29th 05, 04:38 PM
Jeff Strickland

Without actually experiencing your symptoms, I would guess the trouble is in
the Combination Switch itself. The switch that operates the turn signals and
high/low beam is called the Combo Switch, by the way.

There is no relationship in the turn signal circuit and the high/low beam
circuit, except the mechanical parts of the combo switch. Now that the
trouble is getting worse, this takes me even more strongly to the switch
itself.

The switch can be relatively easy to replace, but I haven't looked at how my
BMW is assembled. I have replaced turn signal/combo switches in the past,
and as a general rule they are pretty easy once the steering wheel is off of
the car. There will be a wire loom that snakes down the inside of the
steering column and has a connection in the vicinity of the brake pedal, and
frankly snaking the old wire out and the new wire in can be the tirckiest
part of the job.

$800 seems to be a very steep price for this repair. I have no idea what the
switch will cost, but I will take a stab that the repair time should be on
the order of about 2 hours for a trained technician. If the shop rate was
$75.00, then the labor would run $150 and the rest would be the cost of the
switch.

nk.net...