Old April 29th 05, 02:38 PM
Somebody

"Jeff Mayner" > wrote in message
> snuka wrote:
> > I've searched the net and haven't found a solution to this problem
> > yet. I own an 87 325iC. Starting about two years ago, with my
> > headlights on, whenever I used the turn signal and completed a turn
> > and it would snap back to the normal position, my high beams would
> > come on. I explained the problem to a mechanic that told me it would
> > cost about $800 to fix. I decided to just not use the signal lights
> > at night. Now it's gotten worse. Whenever I turn on my headlight,
> > my high beams come on and I can't turn them off. If I jam a peice of
> > folded paper behind the turn signal stick, it will move it up enough
> > for the high beams to turn off but then I can't use the turn signal
> > or the paper will fall out and I'm back to brights.
> > Has anybody else ever experienced this? Any idea what could be
> > causing the problem? How hard would it be to fix this myself? Thanks.

> What I'd do, is take apart what I could of the column and reassemble. I've
> surprised myself with how many times this has worked. Not with what you
> specifically describe but with other stuff. Sometimes disassembling and
> cleaning, then reassembling actually works. Sure is cheaper if it works

and
> you can take it in if it doesn't. I'd suggest not going any further than

you
> feel you are mechanically capable though. Get yourself some contact

cleaner
> and meter to test for shorts/continuity and look for any distorted plastic
> pins, keepers or missing springs. A decent shop manual with an exploded

view
> of the column area would be a major help with this. There is a site on the
> net that for a small fee you can have access to exploded views of most
> systems on most any car. I can't for the life of me remember the URL. I

got
> some great info when I was rebuilding the front suspension, actually

putting
> back to stock, on my Son's Pick-up. Didn't have to buy an entire manual.
> Perhaps someone knows the name of the site. If memory serves, I found it
> through Google. I used "1997 Ford Ranger Steering Parts" and it was

amongst
> the hits.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Jeff

OP may want to consider picking up a new stalk as well for the turn signal /
high beam. They are on ebay from time to time -- just make sure if you have
the full OBC that you get the stalk with the button for it or accept that
you won't be able to change the display from the stalk any more.

Anyway it's probably bad/worn contacts in the mechanism in the base of the
stalk which are probably not all that servicable. I paid $25 on ebay for a
replacment for mine and I see others regularly. Doesn't take more than
about an hour or so even if you don't know what you're doing -- best get a
friend to help steady the wheel while you release the nut, don't count on
the steering lock lest you damage something. Once you're into the colum
you can hook up your new switch and test it right away before even
installing it. It's all rather garden variety wrench work. Just make sure
when you take the wheel off that it's perfectly straight or you'll never hit
the right spline putting it back on...

-Russ.