Old March 9th 11, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
millinghill

Default "Grrrr" wheel bearing or engine mount problem??

On Mar 4, 7:30*pm, "Private" > wrote:
> "Doug Miller" > wrote in message
>
> > If it were an engine mount problem, the noise would have changed when you
> > shifted into neutral and revved the engine. This is not engine-related.

> > Wheel bearings are a possible cause, although I'm more inclined to think
> > CV
> > joints -- wheel bearing problems more commonly manifest as a whine, rather
> > than a growl, IME.

> > It could also be brakes -- if you apply the brakes lightly while keeping
> > enough pressure on the accelerator to maintain a constant speed, what
> > happens
> > to the noise?

> +1 to above, but CV joint failure often causes clicking noise especially
> when turning sharply at slow speed.
> .
> IMHE worn wheel bearing noise will vary (usually increase) when subjected to
> side loading such as turning or changing direction. *Often one direction
> will be louder than the other. *A series of (careful) slalom type manoeuvres
> when on a straight level road (when safe to do so, wide dry road, no
> traffic) will usually tell the story. *In addition, jack up each wheel and
> inspect for roughness, noise or most likely excessive side play at the top
> and bottom of the wheel. *Could also be rear wheel bearing as it is hard to
> determine noise source from inside when driving? *IMHE bad wheel bearings
> will make noise for a long time without complete failure but YMMV and
> failure could cause a serious accident.
>
> Good luck, YMMV- Hide quoted text -

Hi, ok so I did the slalom thing going 30mph. The "grrrr" from the
front fluctuated between "rah" and a "ruh" every time I turned the
wheel in the opposite direction. Went back to grrrr immediately
thereafter as I continued straight. Noise is not affected by
applying
brakes at all, so pretty sure brakes aren't the cause. I'm just
hoping
for some diagnosis advice and help, as doing the work myself is beyond
my
capabilities and (having recently moved) I'm not sure who's the most
trustworthy mechanic in my new neighborhood. I'd like to go into the
shop showing some intelligence.
Is the consensus still wheel bearings? All opinions appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.