Old February 3rd 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Default 94 Civic LX - Several Oil Leaks!

Concur with Curly about replacing the PCV valve. At a
minimum, not only might it stop some of this oil leakage, it
may improve your fuel mileage. An old, worn, possibly
malfunctioning PCV valve messes up the engine computer. If
it's sticking shut, then this will overpressurize seals such
as the oil pan's.

Concur about distributor seals.

I would replace the valve cover gasket. Use an OEM gasket
only. Replace it carefully, since it's easy to get it
twisted when re-installing the valve cover. Torque down the
four cap nuts using a low-range torque wrench, available for
around $20 at Harbor Freight. You will find the spec at the
free online manuals at Autozone.com or
http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html . I think
it's 7 or 9 ft-lbs. for my 91 Civic. Yours should be the
same or close to. My best guess for that spray pattern on
the underside of the hood is leakage from the valve cover
gasket.

Have you observed the engine while it is running and felt
around these places (carefully) for leakage?

Your Civic also has two sets of "spark plug tube" gaskets.
One set is easy to change out. The other is more difficult
and may or may not be do-able by you. I suppose I am an
"experienced amateur" and I did both with little pain.
Especially if your spark plug tubes have oil in them, change
these.

Not sure about the oil on the bumper near the exhaust, other
than maybe excess oil is in the cylinders.