Old May 21st 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 1996 Explorer "Supplemental" Alarm System Problems

I too have a '96 Exploder 4.0L XLT but with the standard anti-theft system,
panic button on the fob, and numeric combo entry pad on driver side door.
There are no "arm/disarm" buttons anywhere, and this security system was
factory installed and listed on the new car window invoice.

A couple days ago I replaced this vehicle's 12V battery (which was quite
weak) with a new one and since then I'm having intermittent incidents of
horn honking alarms. I'll lock the vehicle, go into a store or whatever, and
after 5-10 minutes the horn honking begins for no legitimate reason. This
doesn't happen all the time. It's interesting that only the horn honks --
the head and tail lights do not flash. Putting the key in the ignition and
turning it stops the honking.

When I read your post about this happening after having your battery
changed, I made a connection with my having also installed a new battery.
Sorry to say, I have no fix, but if someone else replies maybe the new
battery issue might be useful in diagnosis.
Len

--
oups.com...