Old December 28th 05, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1994 Plymouth Acclaim check engine light

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, wrote:

> The check engine light keeps coming on in my girlfriends Acclaim. It
> has oil and coolant. What else could be causing the light to come on?
> Thanks.

The light means the engine computer detects a problem. This car has
on-board diagnostics that can help you figure out where the problem is.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on,
leaving it "ON". Do not
go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will
begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance,
if it flashes:

flash <pause> flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a
55 (five and five). 12 means "start of codes", 55 means "end of codes".
Check the codes and report what you find.