Old June 23rd 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Chris[_23_]

Default 4.0L AX-15 bell housing - missing parts?

After long last, I have rebuilt my AX-15 and am ready to stick it back
into the XJ. When I first took it out many months ago, I took the
bell housing off underneath the vehicle, then moved the transmission
inside to work on it.

When I was getting ready to put the housing back onto the transmission
tonight, I noticed a pair of (approximately) 1/8" stainless steel
balls laying in the housing. They look similar to the shift balls
that are used in the AX-15, just a lot smaller.

I was wondering if someone knows where these are supposed to go? Are
they part of the release fork, release bearing, or am I just ending up
with spare parts that aren't needed? I think that the housing for the
2.5L engine has a pivot ball that detaches, but my 4.0 housing's pivot
ball is fixed in place.

Any advice is appreciated!