Old December 31st 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

Default "SUDDEN ACCELERATION" 'aint going away........

In article >, WindsorFox wrote:
> GatorMan wrote:
>> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907

> Neither is forced busing but that doesn't make it right.
> An 88 Town car? Give me a break, that woman should be in
> prison. The only way a 140 HP 88 Town car could over come
> it's breaks is if it got rear ended by a loaded dump truck.

On top of that... it doesn't have any new fangled control system either.
It's cable connected to a butterfly valve.

I read these things and I think that people are simply way too ingorant
of the technology they are using. Anyone who knows how a car works can
deal with the failure we are being told occurs if it really did happen
which is doubtful given the two-feet on the brake pedal story telling. Of
course maybe these same people had no brak linings left on their pads.
Failure to maintain the brakes is still their fault.

> It's interesting to note that I can't find anything about
> Audi's and unintended acceleration in Germany where you
> actually are forced to learn how to be a responsible driver
> before you are allowed to drive.

Thing about Germany is that manual transmissions are much more popular.
The clutch remains a built in way to make sure the power doesn't reach
the road. Sure the engine might grenade itself if it hits 9K rpm or
something if doesn't have a reve limiter, but the car won't go crashing
into things.

> I am not saying unintended acceleration does not happen,
> I'm saying when it does, there is no excuse for it to not be
> controlled unless you are driving a 600+ HP Fox Mustang with
> a Lenco transmission and stock brakes.

Pretty much. One needs a seriously modified car in an unbalanced way to
have an unintended acceleration reach the problem levels indicated.