Old August 19th 17, 03:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bram van den Heuvel

Default What's so special about gear oil that it's 70 bucks a gallon?

Given >, Stormin' Norman
> wrote:

> Is the shifting problem your real issue? You are asking questions
> about why item A is more expensive than item B and that takes us off
> on tangents about refining, manufacturing, etc.

Good point where the answer is that I'm going to change the 20-year-old oil
anyway, just in case that solves the shifting problem and even if it
doesn't solve the shifting problem, it's well past its due date, don't you
think?

So, I have two separate (but combined) issues which are that I have a
shifting problem getting into gear when the clutch seems to be engaging OK
(a bit late in the pedal arc, but still ok) and where it's time to change
the gear oil.

I'll probably do the differential at the same time but that's a different
question because I think that takes GL5.

> If you are having a shifting issue on your 20 year old transmission, I
> would start by thoroughly inspecting the clutch assembly including the
> actuator. There are a number of other reasons why the manual
> transmission might be hard to shift. You can start replacing things
> willy-nilly, but that gets expensive. It is far more logical to
> diagnose the actual cause of the problems.

I agree with you so that's why I would like this thread to just be how to
intelligently choose the transmission gear oil for a twenty-year-old
transmission.