Old May 9th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New PC's FFB

FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
> If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a
> lot
>of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't.

That seems odd to me. If the option is unchecked, then the strength
should be ignored. To put another way, the strength only applies if
you're actually using the option. Maybe a bug in iRacing's interaction
with the Logitech API?

No, some other guy said that it is "known bug". IOW, he thought that
this is a bug, but if you read carefully, you realize that this isn't a bug.
It is confusing, though (just like about everything regarding FFB), and
somebody should provide some credible explaination, but I am afraid, if
anybody is trying to explain FFB, he would be in danger to reveal some FFB
shortcomings, and this would deter people from using FFB, so nobody explains
anything (which actually is the state of things, regarding knowlage about
FFB).
BTW, thanks very much for the info from pCARS. This made me retest
Overall force, and really, in my system also it works the way I explained
(as amplifier of sinusoids or something like that, if you remember). I
figured out that I had it too high. It is too "springy" at that level, so I
went down. "Springness" is present all the way down to 111% (on my system),
and at 110% it starts to develop slack. I tried 100% and it is too "dampy"
(I encountered those states before, one end is "springy", while the other is
"dampy"). I tried 102% to 118% (I had enough of testing when I got down to
101%, so I will try it tomorow, lol), and 102% to 110% is with slack, with
109% being the most drivable. In fact, it behaves very much like when you
are adjusting perspective, so I will try to adjust perspective (FOV and
hight of screen) so that it works with Overall 100%, which should obviously
be the preferable value (I figerd it out during testing, because some things
work very well, the closer to 100% you are, only right now my system isn't
adjusted for 100%, it works better right now at 109%).
With my system at all testings I am close to the very top of the
session, right among some "A" class people, so this shows that everything
works well. I could be at the very top (possibly, if there isn't some
absolutely fast guy at the session), if I am not just testing FFB, but
rather take adventage of track specifics. Right now I am just doing a
generic drive-around.