Old May 9th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New PC's FFB

FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
>FolkGT:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>>FolkGT:
>>Mario Petrinovic:
>>>Mario Petrinovic:
>>> So, it is actually all very easy, just put this value to 0.5, put
>>>first of FFB settings (Overall) to whatever you like, put the rest of
>>>them
>>>at 100% (I would also uncheck "Allow game to adjust settings"), put
>>>in-game
>>>FFB values at max., and set FOV so that you count in the distance from
>>>eyes to the edge of table as 40 cm.
>>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Oh, it turned out that setting the hight of screen is also very
>>>important.
>>> BTW, I would definitely uncheck "Allow game to adjust settings".
>>>This setting gives unlinearity to FFB.

>>Interesting. I'm beta-testing pCARS right now and with that game you
>>definitely have to check that option. I'm surprised other games don't
>>have the same requirement.
>>
>> Are you having Damper, Spring and Centering Spring (Centering
>> Spring
>>unchecked) at 100%? Well, if you don't have, then some strange things
>>happen
>>(which are also unlinear), so, in that case, if game developer expects you
>>to have unlinear FFB settings, he can try to flatten this unlinearity by
>>adjusting settings (also in ulinear way). This is the case with iRacing,
>>who is suggesting some non-linear FFB settings.

>I see. The devs at pCARS recommend the following settings:
>
>Overall Effects Strength: 100-104
>Spring Effect Strength: 0
>Damper Effect Strength: 0
>Enable Centering Spring: Unchecked. (so it doesn't matter the setting)
>Degrees of Rotation: 900 (different steering setups are done per car
>within the game)
>Allow game to adjust settings: Checked
>
> Once I discussed this with Ade Allen, he made Real Feel plugin fo
>rFactor, and he also didn't now that, and since the developers of both,
>iRacing and pCARS don't mention this specifically anywhere, I presume that
>they don't know too. Centering Spring works even if unchecked. Centering
>Spring is a part of FFB, and it works so that if it is more than 100% it is
>harder than natural for you to turn wheel away from center, and if it is
>below 100% it is easier than natural (or something like that). Anyway, 100%
>is the natural strength of FFB forces (this goes for Damper and Spring,
>too).
> When Centering Spring is checked, it works indepemdetly of FFB.
> IOW,
>this checked Centering Spring ISN'T a part of FFB, but unchecked is a part
>of FFB. If you see the description of this (put mouse arrow over the text),
>you'll see that by checking it you "enable centering forces in force
>feedback games which do not have a centering force". For force feedback
> [...]

The Centering Spring implementation must be game specific. For pCARS, if
I *check* the Centering Spring option, there is a marked difference in
steering weight when adjusting the slider between 0 and 100. If I
*uncheck* the option, there is *NO* difference when adjusting the slider.
One has to assume that the implementation of Logitech's API varies from
developer to developer. I don't think there is a "one true way".

If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a lot
of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't. There is a
reason for Centering Spring, which is felt nicely in iRacing.
BTW, for whoever is interested, now I think that the distance from
monitor to the edge of table is 37.5 cm (15 in.).
Also, I will experiment with in-game settings. It could be that max.
in-game settings oversaturate FFB, and that "true way" should be 20 (max. is
40), and 50 for Damper (max. is 100). Also, it could be that Overall "true
way" is 100%, but I must test all this first.