Old April 25th 12, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New PC's FFB

Mario Petrinovic:
Mario Petrinovic:
Well, I got new PC, and there are some changes. On this PC I can
clearly feel where I am regarding latency (cockpitLookDeadZone setting).
Here, my latency definitelly is somewhere around 0.038500. Well, this has
more sense than what I wrote previously.
Thankfully now I can clearly distinguish where I am with my latency,
so I can experiment with different settings (if I find time to do that).
Regarding the feel of FFB, if latency is too low, your are chasing car, if
it is too high, car is chasing you. When it is too low, car runs away from
you, but you cannot catch it. This isn't so easy to distinguish, but it is
very easy to distinguish too high latency. In short, with too high latency
FFB behaves somehow like a yo-yo. Like it has a spring in itself, and this
spring acts exactly like a yo-yo. It is controlable, but of course, because
of latency it plays around, and in adjsuting to this, all feels just like a
yo-yo.
Well, now that I am sure what is what, now I can freely experiment
with different video settings, to see how they affect latency.
----------------------

There is some development, here.
Up till now I chased the divide between, yo-yo zone and no yo-yo
zone. Well, this was wrong. On my system that divide is at
cockpitLookDeadZone = 0.038570/0.038569. Well, the prefered value of
cockpitLookDeadZone is deeply into yo-yo zone. I still didn't determine
where exactly (I had enough of testing for today), but it is somewhere
around 0.08. Good news is that it looks like it doesn't have to be so
precise, it looks like three decimal places should do.
Also, on my system the fps lock at 84 is too low, regarding FFB. 169
is good. 169 is better than "no lock". "No lock" is much better than 84, and
almost as good as 169. I still didn't have time to see how low can I go
regarding this, but 84 is clearly too low.

Ok, I tested all this.
First, FFB has to be precise to all 6 decimal places. My setting is
0.086551 (the default is 0.050000).
With finetuned FFB I could feel better what the right FOV is, and
now the best is 63. This means that the (horizontal) distance from my eyes
to the edge of table where wheel is attached is 40 cm. The FOV is extremly
important, with wrong FOV you cannot negotiate corners correctly. Too bad
you cannot adjust it more precisely (one decimal place should be enough).
Regarding what fps, the more, the better. "No lock" fps is better
than 169.
I tested with Skippy on Jefferson Reverse, which is a good
combination for testing.