Old January 8th 15, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default Tire Question ?

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 12:46:11 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem tires.
> 225/65-17
>
> I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for snow/ice here in
> New England conditions, but several I am looking
> at do not have a "65," only "60".
>
> Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?
>
> And,
>
> Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?
>
> Are they some "off-brand," or...?
>
> Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does not even
> offer them.
>
> Any thoughts on ?
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob
>
> ---

What you want is tires with a similar overall rolling diameter to your originals. I'd have a look on Tire Rack and play with sizes. Check the specific model and size of tire you're looking at against the stock tires. Also make sure that the specific model and size tire you're considering is listed by its manufacturer for the width of the wheels on your car.

I hope that I don't need to tell you that all four tires need to match on an AWD vehicle.

Also, a slight diameter difference is not the end of the world. I actually went 20mm wider on my car without changing the aspect ratio (stock tires were 225/35R19 front and 255/30R19 rear) because the tires I wanted didn't come in the stock size... not a problem. If I went any wider though I'd have to get different wheels (and probably do some serious figgering on offset and/or roll/trim my fender lips.)

nate