Old January 6th 15, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Retired

Default Tire Question ?

On 1/6/15 3:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/6/2015 11:46 AM, Bob wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My new 2014 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler oem
>> tires.
>> 225/65-17
>>
>> I want to replace them with a "better" rated tire for
>> snow/ice here in New England conditions, but several I am
>> looking
>> at do not have a "65," only "60".
>>
>> Is this difference meaningful ? Why ?
>>
>> And,
>>
>> Anyone ever use Nokian tires ?
>>
>> Are they some "off-brand," or...?
>>
>> Certainly don't see them ever advertised, and Tire Rack does
>> not even offer them.
>>
>> Any thoughts on ?

> Can't help with your size question but Nokian is a premium tire maker
> in the motorcycle and bicycle world and I know drivers who say good
> things about them for snow. Never owned a set myself but they are not
> 'off brand' at all.
>
> http://company.nokia.com/en/about-us...pany/our-story
>
> made by Suomis! woo hoo.

Ahh, NOKIAN Tires are no longer part of Nokia Corp.

see http://www.nokiantires.com/

They are a Finnish co that specializes in winter tires.
(who would have guessed ;-)

Also, there is a "Where to buy" link on that webpage.

When I worked at a Volvo/Jaguar dealer, we saw (and sold) a fair
number of Nokian tires.