Old May 18th 13, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

Default What did you do to your VW today?

wrote in message ...
> Bill Leary > wrote:
>>> ...not a classic in any way.

>> ...my 26 year old Scirocco 16V will respectfully disagree with that.

> Worked on my '75 "Dent Side"

Do you mean built with an indent (I've seen some like that) or that it's
badly dented?

> Ford pickup today, it's long over due, been driving the heck out of
> it in the last few years.
>
> I bought it new. xD

Oh, my. I bought this about eight years ago. It has spent ten years in
somebody's garage then their son had had it poorly repaired and drove it for
about a year. He ended up not liking it any more than is father had so I
got it with less than 110K on it.

> For me, to be a classic, it has to be the Ford truck style before
> my Dent Side, a '72 or earlier "Bump Side". YMMV?

Certainly. I see a lot of things I'd call "classic" and other might not.
And vice-versa.

>> I'd like to acquire and put an air cooled on the road after
>> I retire, which isn't very far away.

> My new wife wants to get my dune buggy from the friend
> I gave it to. He ain't done nuthin with it so he'll be glad for
> me to get it going and then give it back to 'im maybe-even
> running this time. LOL

I wanted to build up a dune buggy, though I rarely go on the beaches. I
mostly just liked how they looked. But at the time I might have been able
to do it I couldn't find any that were all-year capable and I couldn't
afford to have two cars. These days I can afford two cars (I don’t' drive
the Scirocco in the winter, for example), but don't really have the
inclination to be building a buggy.

- Bill