Old May 2nd 05, 06:09 PM
Jim O'Malley \(KCIT/KCPN\)

Nope, follow the recommended pressures -- and don't trust the tire boys to
remember!

Most Detroit iron has a fairly even weight distribution pattern, squaring
the car's weight between the front and rear. Beetles only have a third of
the curb weight riding on the front tires. Overinflating the fronts has the
effect of changing your 165/15s into 95/16s -- not enough weight to maintain
full footprint contact with the road.

This concept will be painfully obvious if you live anywhere with wind. You
think Chicago is the windy city? Try Amarillo TX. Last time I put new tires
on my '74 Super, I specifically asked them to inflate to 18psi/29psi. They
didn't, putting in 32psi all the way 'round. I hit the freeway and grabbed
the next exit as a relatively calm15mph crosswind made the car undriveable.

Jim O'Malley / http://vwfilms.net/

"Lynn Martin" > wrote in message
> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece

on
> the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and

Rear
> 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
>
> Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock size

tire?