Old May 20th 05, 04:03 AM
dyno

tequila wrote:
> wrong
>
> With really good gas, it is entirely possible to
> overadvance the timing, without getting knock,
> especially at part throttle.

That's true.

> your statement is ' sorta kinda' true at full throttle
> and typical gasoline.

The point was that there is NO point in advancing beyond optimal timing.
If you do, all you do is reduce torque and increase peak in-cylinder
pressures which in turn increase bearing loads. For any fixed throttle
position, the torque vs. spark curve ALWAYS has the basic rise and fall
parabolic shape as long as the engine is knock-free on the fuel being
run. I have literally run hundreds of tests that show this trend.