Old July 3rd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Default Aftermarket intake questions

"Dana Rohleder" > wrote:

>Less restricted airflow to the engine;

More restrictive airflow. If you take in cooler air, it is denser.
Hence for the same performance, you need to increase the intake
vacuum. That increases pumping losses.

> the same logic that supposedly
>increases horsepower - by increasing airflow efficiency

Maximum airflow is increased, not efficiency with respect to viscous
power losses.

> performance is
>enhanced. I'm not saying it's true - that's why I'm asking. But the
>manufacturers and many owners seem to think so.

What manufacturers? Mazda?

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata