Old November 17th 18, 09:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

Default Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that performhome alignment measurements & conversions?

On 11/16/2018 2:16 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & conversions?
>
> I openly admit that the (conversion) math makes my head explode.
>
> Only someone who has done their own alignment at home would understand why
> I say the math makes my head explode - which is where a cellphone app could
> play a key role in simplifying things.
>
> You see, what you measure at home for an alignment is (almost) NEVER what
> the spec actually is. Why? I can't tell you why. I can just tell you that
> it always seems that you have to CONVERT your measurements to the spec.
>
> For example, my ancient bimmer has toe spec'd in degrees, but, at home, you
> typically measure toe in inches, not in degrees ... simply because it's
> trivial to measure toe in inches at home to the desired accuracy (all you
> need is a home-made U-shaped toe rod where you mark the tire centerline at
> a certain height and then lock the toe rod into place for a subsequent
> distance measurement).
>
> Luckily, instead of in degrees, most American cars (thankfully) seem to
> spec toe in inches (which, for once, makes sense), but of course, it's
> often inches to centerline, where you then have to figure out what they
> define as the centerline (which can be different on every vehicle).
>
> For camber, at least you normally get a spec in degrees, but you can rather
> easily measure camber in inches using just a plumb bob and a ruler, so
> again, you have to convert (using basic trig) from inches to degrees.
>
> Meanwhile, you compute caster from the other measurements.
>
> The point is that (a) each vehicle is different in how it differs from (a)
> the specs it gives you, and (b) the specs you can easily measure at home to
> the required precision & repeatability.
>
> IMHO, all the work is NOT in the measurements themselves, nor is there
> much additional work in the adjustments (twisting a bolt is easy, and even
> easier to replicate the normal position of the vehicle with niceties like
> toe plates and camber jigs).
>
> IMHO ... *All the work is in the math.*
>
> That's where an app that measures angles and which can take as input
> distances, can be a wonderful app that, to my knowledge, doesn't exist yet.
>
> Hence, the question...
>
> Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home
> alignment measurements & calculations?

Here you a

https://dexadine.com/WhatMOA.htm

To express minute of angle in inches you just need the
distance from target. You may be going at alignment along
the hardest possible route but not as complex as ballistics.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>