Old November 17th 18, 02:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen michael holder

Default Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 16:36:06 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

> I presume you mean vehicle alignment?

Yeah. Vehicle suspension alignment (hence the cross post to r.a.t).

I realize, from the jokes thpough, which I admit are funny, that a "home
alignment" isn't needed, except, maybe, in California after an earthquake.

> Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use this?

There are six relatively common automotive tasks nobody does at home, one
of which is vehicle alignment, so, for today, the answer is zero average
homeowners..

However...

Things are changing, where the phone has so much power, that you do stuff
with the phone that you couldn't do when we were younger.

One thing you can "do" with a phone is vehicle suspension alignment checks.

> Since you wrote that other app write one for this.

Actually, I've written 8 apps in the past few days...
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5714883androidstudio82.jpg>
app01 === "hello world"
app02 === "enter text, press button, shows up in next screen"
app03 === adder of two numbers
app04 === working port of the previous app (no small feat)
app05 === opening of an outside activity (web browser)
app06 === simple grocery list
app07 === variable-seed random die cast
app08 === Custom port of the simple grocery app to my grocery store

My first "real" app will be a ten-minute timer that is so easy to set that
it takes only a single button press, which is to forestall me burning the
house down because setting a multi-press timer is too onerous when I make
coffee (I've ruined plenty of pots).

My second real app will be a camera app that you can use while working on
the car, where, if you've never tried the existing camera apps in low
light, under a car, holding the starter motor in one hand (which might as
well be a cannon ball), and then focusing with the LED flashlight, and then
snapping the shot with gloved hands, etc., without accidentally hitting the
"selfie" button, and without having to worry about the settings reverting
back to what they were because you took too much time setting it up.

After that, who knows ... what kind of app do you need for home-repair use?

> You could write it just
> for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't see the
> market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into
> account.

I think you figured out my plan, which is, of course, to write the app
(eventually); but I'm so far from being able to do that at this point that
it's not a viable suggestion.

The question is only whether you know if the app already exists.

> I do not want to discourage you but a spreadsheet might be an easier task.
> Are there spreadsheet apps for phones? I do not put apps on my phones as I
> am confused enough with the junk that is already on there. I admit I am a
> dinosaur.

Sure, spreadsheets work on mobile devices, but spreadsheets are a far cry
from an alignment app.

An alignment app walks you though the steps for your particular vehicle,
e.g., for camber, it might start with...
o CAMBER:
Place phone edge alongside wheel & press button when degrees stabilize.
o TOE
Tape laser to front wheels & enter distance to wall

There are likely zero alignment apps to date, which means the market is
wide open, but I first wanted to check.