Old January 16th 10, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

Default 1998 SL2 hesitates when stepping on gas pedal

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:13:14 -0500, somebody >
wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:06:52 -0500, "Oppie" >
>wrote:
>

>>"somebody" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> We have a 1998 SL2 with 105K miles. Recently it started hesitating
>>> when stepping on the gas pedal quickly. When idling it wants to
>>> stall. When moving along and stepping on the pedal it stutters for a
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> SES light is off. Engine runs cold (thermostat replacement as soon as
>>> it's warm enough out) and idles at 1500 RPM.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? The stutter reminds me of vaccum leaks back in the
>>> distributor/rotor days or a bad carb.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>>If the engine always runs cold, it will be running rich, uses fuel and
>>possibly floods on accel.
>>
>>Most of the codes are set when the engine is at operating temperature. If it
>>never thinks it has warmed up, codes may not be set.
>>I'd replace the thermostat and if symptoms persist, have it checked with a
>>scanner (much more comprehensive than a code reader).
>>
>>Then there's always the possibility that the SES light is blown out. Do you
>>get the check engine and service lights at key-on lamp check?
>>
>>Oppie

>Replaced the thermostat today. The SES light went out and there's
>lots of heat.
>
>But the temperature gauge doesn't move a bit and it still
>stalls/hesitates. Is there a quick test for the temperature sensor?

A $10.00 ECTS (engine coolant temperature sensor) took care of the
temperature gauge and now it runs fine. The original was the plastic
version and it had a crack in it. Will change the oil becaus it's due
and we're done for the day.

Thanks for all who replied!