Old April 12th 11, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On 04/12/2011 08:27 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In >, > wrote:
>> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
>> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
>> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
>> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
>> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

> It depends entirely on who is driving. Some of the computer controlled
> automatic systems are very, very good and probably better than the average
> driver.
>
> However, when those systems break, nobody really knows how to repair them,

anyone saying this stuff is hard to repair is the same kind of luddite
that said that about fuel injection 30 years ago. now we laugh at
injection luddites, not only because injection systems are simpler to
repair, but because they're much more reliable.

> whereas rebuilding a manual (even a transaxle) is something you can do in
> the backyard.
> --scott

that's not true. look at one of these 6-speed dual clutch systems -
apart from the electronic control module [which i hope you don't think
is any less reliable than an injection computer], it's no more
complicated than a traditional stick. /way/ simpler than a traditional
auto with its hydraulic analog computer, pumps on input and output,
multiple actuators and multiple clutches. if you can't handle just two
clutches and a few electronic solenoids, you've got other problems.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum