Old July 5th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dan[_30_]

Default cowl shake

On Jul 5, 6:01*am, (Itsfrom Click) wrote:
> will adding a spring tower-to-tower brace reduce the cowl shake on my
> '06 GT convert? *if so, should I get an aftermarket part, or the FoMoCo
> part? *(and if it makes a big difference, why the heck isn't it
> standard).
>
> I'm *not talking about hard use here.....it's just a toy used for normal
> driving (and 1300 miles in *2 1/2 years).......but the cowl shake is
> annoying - hit a bump and you have to watch the windshield, dash &
> fenders dancing. *am also not amused since all the magazine reviews
> crowed about *the lack of cowl shake ...... in fact, the 5th covert I've
> had and the only one where it is a problem.
>
> comments/recommendations appreciated!

It's not going to really help the cowl shake much unless you find one
that ties into the firewall, and I don't believe there are any that do
that for the S197 Mustang. At best an STB helps in hard cornering. For
any other application it's a handy place to grab while working on the
motor . A set of welded subframe connectors would be better for
eliminating cowl shake but only a roll cage will truly fix the
problem .

But I'll echo what dwight observed: why is the shake so bad? The S197
chassis is stiffer than any of the previous Mustang chassis', and Ford
was particularly adamant that the 'verts were even more improved. My
'03 'vert had very little shake in stock trim and the '05+ cars I've
been in have been better than that.

Dan
P49Y83+